This course is for SPA course directors and those staff wishing to work on the new RCI scheme. This counts as one AMI CPD point and is open to all AMI members.
IT WILL BE HELD AT LEEDS WALL AND STARTS AT 10AM
A full day looking at the differences between the SPA and new RCI syllabus. We will focus on what you might want to include on the indoor day. This is an opportunity for MIA/MIC’s looking to increase their knowledge on the indoor teaching environment and teaching indoor leading to candidates with limited experience
Rock Climbing Instructor (SPA)
• Managing an assistant
• Teaching and coaching skills
• Enhanced pathway for Indoor Climbing Instructors
• Wider experience requirements
The day will include
• Intro to the scheme, syllabus and additional elements,
• Risk assessment and management of wall. Intro to problem avoidance. Legalities. Duty of care
• Planning a climbing wall session-flexibility. Responsibilities as an instructor.
• Intro, warm ups, bouldering games, traversing and effective spotting.
• Understanding of ABC’s of movement, climbing holds and how they are used. Demo’s of movement techniques.
• Movement coaching roped and un-roped
• Lead climbing clipping (continental vrs brit style), back clipping, z clipping leg entrapment.
• Holding small falls- why, how and where.
• How to descend from sport climbs – threading lower offs, with a bight and with the tail
· Bottom roping sport climbs – protecting the bolts/anchors from wear with y hangs.
• Lead belaying (active vrs dynamic) clipping zones, decking from 4th demo
• Teaching/coaching process